Social Distancing with Kids can be FUN!
I’m sure you all will agree, we are in a very interesting time! Sports, concerts, events, church, conventions, schools, travel… you name it, it’s all cancelled/postponed due to the #Coronavirus AKA #COVID-19. If your school/pre-school/daycare is going on #quarantine or #socialdistancing like ours in #HighlandsRanch #Colorado then you are about to have your kids home for an extended amount of time! Don’t worry though, you can still have FUN! Here’s a list of ideas to keep your kids and yourself entertained, which I will personally be using with my 2 year old girl and 4 year old boy!
- Have each kid pick a topic they'd like to learn about and spend 30 mins each day on that topic.
- Have each kid write a letter and/or emails to a different friend or family member each day.
- Get binoculars and learn about the birds near your house, look them up online and search for their birdcalls on YouTube.
- Any and all art is fun at home: beading, painting, drawing, kinetic sand, etc. Bonus points for working on numbers, alphabet, colors, shapes, etc.
- Use all of the building toys on one giant structure!
- Board games, card games, really any game you have laying around!
- Make a creation out of play-doh!
- Spend one day reading every single picture book in the house. I bet there are good ones you have forgotten about!
- Read a book to your kids and then ask them about their favorite part, favorite character, what they would change if they re-wrote it, etc.
- Make a tent with blankets and a couple pillows, turn off lights, and read by flashlight… it’s an adventure! You could also have a shadow show in the reading tent.
- Try involving your kids in yoga. My daughter (2) has no clue but my son (4) likes trying it with me! There are kid-friendly YouTube videos.
- Zumba or Dance-along videos on YouTube. Watching my son is pure comedy and he LOVES it!
- Glow Stick Party.
- Scavenger hunts, indoor treasure hunts where they follow clues through the house to a "treasure" at the end!
- Bake something every day or make ice cream! Explore through cooking!
- Have your kids guess names of ingredients used in your meals.
- Popcorn + movie marathon. There's even a new Social Distancing movie out there! haha. But in reality, we will be watching any movies having to do with dogs because my kids LOVE animals.
Outdoors (if the weather is nice!)
- Races of various kinds in the backyard (hopping on one foot, crab-walk, walking backwards, etc.)
- Inventory the plants, flowers, & wildlife (from bugs on up) in your yard. You can also learn the parts of plants/flowers you see & how they function.
- Find a new hiking path AWAY from people! You still want to do your #socialdistancing part!
- Sidewalk chalk is always enjoyable!
Do you have great ideas that should be added? Send me a message!! I would LOVE your ideas!